Monday, 19 October 2015

Four Wheat Kings Named to Team WHL

John Quenneville is getting a chance to play
with Team WHL for the second straight year.
  Four members of the Brandon Wheat Kings will play for Team WHL in next months’s upcoming Canada/Russia  Series.

  Forwards Jayce Hawryluk, John Quenneville and Nolan Patrick and defenceman Kale Clague are part of the 20-player squad that will face-off with the Russian Selects on November 9th in Kelowna and November 10th in Kamloops.

  “This year, I’m really hoping to make my mark to give myself the best chance to play on the World Junior team," said Quenneville on Monday, "I think playing well in the Subway Series can help me do that.”

  Hawryluk and Quenneville were both members of Team WHL last year and both attended Hockey Canada’s Summer Development Camp in August.

  “When it comes down to making the World Junior team and a team that’s going to win, you need guys that are going to fill roles and do things to help the team win.  Ultimately, for me, it’s not about where I’m playing on that team it’s about trying to get on that team and try and do whatever I can to help that team win.”

  Meanwhile, Patrick and Clague were both members of Canada’s gold medal winning team at the Memorial of Ivan Hlinka tournament this past August.

  “It’s the top of the hill other than the Olympics, I guess, for junior players.  Everyone there is going to be wanting to make an impression on World Juniors and stuff like that.  It’s going to be competitive, it’s going to be intense but I think I’m ready for it.”

   Also on Team WHL for the second straight year is Elkhorn product Travis Sanheim of the Calgary Hitmen.

  Wheat Kings’ GM/Coach Kelly McCrimmon will be an assistant coach for Team WHL, the same role he has with this year’s Canadian National Junior Team.

Chaff...Wheat Kings' prospect Jarrod Gourley was added to the Canada-White team for the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge next month.  Gourley joins fellow Brandon prospect Ian Mitchell on Canada-White while Wheat Kings' forward Stelio Mattheos will be on the Canada-Black team at the tournament.
 

No comments: