Friday, 11 September 2015

Young Guns Shine in Pre-Season Opener

Caiden Daley had three points for Brandon Friday.
   The Brandon Wheat Kings opened their 2015 pre-season with a 6-2 win over the Regina Pats on Friday night.

  Caiden Daley and Tanner Kaspick had a goal and two assists each to pace the Wheat Kings offensively, while Brandon product Connor Gutenberg added a pair of third period goals including a shorthanded marker with just under four minutes left.

  "I was really excited and ready to play.  I just wanted to try and work hard as much as I can and show the coaches what I could so," said Daley on CKLQ's post-game show," I thought I played pretty good out there, I had good linemates and the team was really going so I was pretty happy with the performance."

  Daley was one of three 15-year old players in the Wheat Kings' lineup Friday, joining fellow forward Rylan Bettens and defenceman Garrett Sambrook.

  "He was skating really well, he was on the puck," said Brandon GM/Coach Kelly McCrimmon, "I thought Bettens and Sambrook as well didn't look out of place."

  Daley was Brandon's first round pick in the 2015 Bantam Draft and the Winnipeg product isn't eligible to play full-time in the Western Hockey League this season.

  However, he's still looking at being with the club as long as possible as a key to his long-term development.

Ty Lewis scored the game's opening goal on Friday.
  "Trying to get better and keep playing as much as I can," said Daley, "It's exciting to come and play pre-season game so I get them under my belt and tune my game up and get in ready for next year, if I get a chance."

  Ty Lewis and Braylon Shmyr had the other goals for Brandon on Friday while Chase Harrison and Luc Smith scored the goals for Regina.

  The duo of Logan Thompson and Josh Dechaine combined for 23 saves in the Wheat Kings' net, with Thompson stopping all 11 shots he faced in the opening 31 minutes.

  The two teams will meet in another pre-season tilt on Saturday night in Regina (7:30 p.m., 880 CKLQ).

Chaff...in what is likely a speculative move, the SJHL's La Ronge Ice Wolves added D Ryan Pilon to the protected player list earlier this week...the Saskatoon Blades acquired F Garrett Wait, 17, and a third round pick in the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft from the Portland Winterhawks Friday in exchange for F Igor Larionov Jr., 17.

No comments: