Tuesday, 8 September 2015

Wheat Kings Off to NHL Camps

Macoy Erkamps is off to play with St. Louis at
an NHL Prospects Tournament this weekend.
  Several members of the Brandon Wheat Kings are off to NHL camps and Prospects Tournaments this week.

  Colton Waltz will join teammates Jordan Papirny and Rihards Bukarts at Edmonton's camp before playing with the Oilers at the Young Stars Tournament in Penticton, B.C. this coming weekend.

  "It's a really exciting time.  It's my first camp and it should be an awesome experience," said Waltz after Tuesday's practice, "There's a little bit of nerves as well but I'm sure when I get on the ice and just play my game, those will go away and I look forward to it."

  The Edmonton-bound trio will join six other Wheat Kings attending NHL camps this fall including two other undrafted free agents.

  Tim McGauley is headed to Washington and will compete with Capitals' prospects in the four-team rookie tournament in Florida, a tournament that also includes Florida Panthers' prospects like Wheat Kings' forward and Panthers' 2014 second round pick Jayce Hawryluk.

  Macoy Erkamps will play with St. Louis Blues' prospects at the annual Traverse City Tournament in Michigan.

  "I know it's going to be kind of a step above that I'm used to and, hopefully, I can adjust to it pretty quickly," said Erkamps this week, "There's seven other teams there so I'm not only trying out for one team, the other teams will also be looking and watching so I hope I can make an impression."

  Wheat Kings' forward Reid Duke will also be in Traverse City with the Minnesota Wild after being chosen by the Wild in the fifth round of the 2014 NHL Draft.

  John Quenneville is at New Jersey's rookie camp, with Devils' prospects to travel to Western New York to play games against the Buffalo Sabres and Boston Bruins this weekend.

  Providing his visa issues have been cleared up, Ivan Provorov will be with the Philadelphia Flyers when they open their three-day rookie camp next Monday.

No comments: