Wednesday, 2 September 2015

Daley Pumped for First Training Camp

  The Brandon Wheat Kings' 2015 Bantam Draft picks will be getting their first taste of a training camp this week, including first rounder Caiden Daley.

  The 15-year old Winnipeg product was the 22nd overall pick in May, and is ineligible to play full-time in the WHL this season.

  However, one of the goals for Daley at training camp is to show well enough to, perhaps, get a chance to make his WHL debut this year.

  "I just hope I can show the coaches what I can do out there to the best of my abilities and maybe to think about playing later in the year.," said Daley when I asked about his goals for training camp on Tuesday night, "Just skate as hard as I can, show the fans what I can do.  I can't wait to get out there."

  The 6-foot-0 Daley isn't quite pushing 160 pounds (he weighed in at 155 Tuesday night) yet so he understands that getting bigger and stronger is a key before he begins his WHL career on a full-time basis.

  That's something he concentrated on during the off-season, working out two hours a day while also doing power-skating in the morning and doing different system skates in the evening.

  "I had to switch it up from last summer. Last summer was a little buit of a hold over, okay easiness," said Daley, who has yet to sign a standard player agreement with Brandon, "This summer, I had to put it into high gear and really starting getting my body and myself ready to go for a WHL camp and for my season coming up."

  Daley, who's expected to play with the Manitoba AAA Midget Hockey League's Winnipeg Wild this season, is one of about 40 prospects hitting the ice during the Wheat Kings' rookie camp the next two days.

  About 20 of those will join the returning players for Main Camp, which begins on Friday.

No comments: