Monday, 7 September 2015

Coulter Drops 20+ During Off-Season

Tyler Coulter
  Tyler Coulter is a shadow of his former self this fall.

  The third-year Wheat Kings' winger shed more than 20 pounds from his playing weight of last season this summer, checking into last week's training camp at a stealth 195 pounds.

  "It's a big year coming up for our team here and I know everyone was going to give the best summer of their life and I felt I had to as well," said Coulter, "It was one of my goals to come in a lot lighter and acquire a little bit more speed on the ice."

  Coulter's off-season regimen wasn't anything unusual, it was more about sticking to a plan that's productive for anyone looking to get in bettter shape.

  "It a little bit of everything.  I was eating good and a lot of hard work in the summer," said Coulter, "I was running the treadmill, biking and doing everything I could every day.  It was a long summer."

  Coulter had a productive sophmore campaign with the Wheat Kings in 2014-2015, scoring 16 goals and 33 points while playing in all 72 regular season games and adding five goals and 11 points in 19 playoff contests.

  Coulter could be a breakout candidate for the Wheat Kings this season, and being a little lighter could be one of the things that helps propel him.

  "I thought it would definitely help conditioning, being able to play a full 60 minutes a night, be ready every shift," added Coulter, "I was about speed too...I thought if I was quicker, I could maybe get more chances."

  The 6-foot-0 Coulter was the only Brandon player to play in all 95 games the club  played last season, including the four pre-season games last fall.

  The Wheat Kings will open their pre-season schedule Friday when they host the Regina Pats (7:30 p.m., Westman Communications Group Place).

No comments: