Tuesday, 28 July 2015

McGauley off to Caps' Camp this Fall

Tim McGauley
  Tim McGauley is headed to D.C.

  The Brandon Wheat Kings' centre has been invited to Washington's rookie camp this fall and will play with the Capitals' at a prospects tournament in Florida in mid-September.

  "I want to make the best of it, have a lot of fun, be a sponge out there and learn all sorts of things, everything I can," said McGauley this week, "Hopefully, I can come back with a great experience and some great advice."

  McGauley had a breakout year in 2014-2015, finishing third in the Western Hockey League in scoring with 42 goals and 105 points.

  Despite those lofty numbers, the Wilcox, Saskatchewan product was not selected in the NHL Draft last month but did attend the Montreal Canadiens' development camp earlier this month.

  That experience and Washington's invitation are serving as a nice reward for McGauley.

  "It wasn't too much of a sting, to be honest, I've been through it before but to get the invites right after the draft was nice," said McGauley about being passed over in the NHL Draft for the third time, "People know of me, they've been watching which is nice to know.  To get a chance to go to camp is a real honour and I just want to make the best of my opportunities and, hopefully, I can."

  The 20-year old McGauley is in a bit of a unique situation as he prepares for the 2015-2016 season.

  The expectation is he'll be returning for a fourth season with the Wheat Kings but, if things go well with Washington, there is a chance he could sign a contract and play professionally this coming season.

  "I know all the possibilities that lie ahead of me, all the circumstance that could pan out for the future but, for now, I'm just taking it one day at a time, training hard and however it goes, I'll sure I'm going to he happy with," said McGauley, "Playing pro hockey would be a dream but also coming back to the Wheat Kings, that would also be awesome too."

  McGauley is one of at least six Wheat Kings' players expected to attend camps with NHL clubs this fall.

  Meanwhile, the Wheat Kings annual hockey school got underway Monday.

  Matt Calvert, Ryan Pulock, Michael Ferland, Ryan Craig and Jens Meilleur along with current members of the Wheat Kings are among those instructing at the week-long school.

No comments: