Thursday, 30 July 2015

Hawryluk, Wheat Kings at Hockey Canada Camps


Jayce Hawryluk is one of several members of the Wheat Kings'
organization attending Hockey Canada Camps over the next few days.
  The Canadian National Junior Team’s Summer Development Camp gets underway this weekend in Calgary.

  It’s the second go-round at the camp for Brandon Wheat Kings’ forward Jayce Hawryluk as he tries to make a solid impression to begin his last season of eligibility to play at the World Junior Hockey Championship.

  “I’m definitely a lot more comfortable than I was last year.  I’ve been to this camp, I know what its about,” said Hawryluk earlier this week at the Wheat Kings’ Hockey School, “I kind of got my feet under me last year and I think that’ll just help me a lot going into this year and I think being older and more mature has helped me too.”

  The Roblin product is joined on the 40-player roster for the camp by Wheat Kings’ teammate John Quenneville and Elkhorn product Travis Sanheim of the WHL’s Calgary Hitmen.

  Wheat Kings’ GM/Coach Kelly McCrimmon will also have one of the sets of watchful eyes as an assistant coach to head man Dave Lowry for the Canadian Junior team this season.

  “Come this camp, it’s a whole other world.  The way I play in Brandon is not going to be the way I’d play for Canada at the World Juniors,” said Hawryluk, “I’d be a totally different player come that tournament for these guys.  Whatever they want me to do is what I’m going to do…the role I have to play is whatever they want me to do.”

  The camp is part of another busy summer for Hawryluk, who attended his second Development Camp with the NHL’s Florida Panthers earlier this month.

  Hawryluk was a second round pick of Florida in the 2014 NHL Draft, and after being a little awestruck in his first go-round with the Panthers last July, this month’s camp was a little more businesslike for him.

  “You just know what to expect.  You’re just so much more comfortable, you’ve met the whole staff, you’ve met everyone so it was just so much fun,” said Hawryluk, “I enjoyed my time while I was in Florida and had a great time.”

  Hawryluk has yet to sign with the Panthers could a big on his entry-level contract could come at some point in the next few weeks.

  The National Junior Team’s camp not only includes practices for Team Red and Team White, but the two squads will also be playing exhibition games against the Russian and Czech Republic junior teams next week.

  The Junior Team camp isn’t the only one being put on my Hockey Canada in Calgary this week as the Under-18 and Under-17 Camps are already underway.

  Nolan Patrick, Kale Clague and Tanner Kaspick of the Wheat Kings are participating in the Under-18 Camp as they try to secure a spot on the Canadian team for the Memorial of Ivan Hlinka Tournament in August while Wheat Kings’ prospects Stelio Mattheos, Ian Mitchell and Jarrod Gourley are participating in the Under-17 camp that’ll help determine the three rosters for Canada’s teams for the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge this fall.

No comments: