Thursday, 12 March 2015

Kaspick Prepped for Whatever Duty Calls

Tanner Kaspick
  Tanner Kaspick is well prepared for any extra duty that may come his way.

  The Wheat Kings' rookie centre saw exactly that in Tuesday's home-ice victory over Moose Jaw, seeing some extra minutes after John Quenneville was ejected from the game 45 seconds into the contest.

  "It's nice to be playing that many minutes," said Kaspick after Thursday's practice, "It's unfortunate that John got kicked out but it's a great opportunity for myself to get that extra ice time.  It reminded me of my midget days, getting that much ice time.  It was lots of fun."

  It's not the first time Kaspick has seen has increased duty over the last month as the Wheat Kings fight the injury bug.

  Often, he'll line up beside his former Midget AAA Wheat King teammates Duncan Campbell and Tyler Coulter on an all Wheat City line.

  Regardless of why or when, Kaspick says it's his job to be ready to go.

  "That's my job as a depth forward.  I just always have to be ready for that opportunity, both for myself and for the benefit of the team," said Kaspick, Brandon's second round pick in the 2013 Bantam Draft, "Whenever that opportunity comes calling, I just try to do my best."

  Kaspick would, no doubt, like to have a larger number that 1 in the 'G' column in his rookie season in this year, but he has added 17 assists for 18 points in 50 games this season -- putting him in the top 40 in the WHL in rookie scoring.

  The 6-foot-0, 193 pound Kaspick feels he's taken a lot of steps forward in his rookie season in the WHL.

  "I think I've really adjusted well to the league.  I think I've gotten the hang of things here and I'm really starting to feel more and more comfortable," said Kaspick, "I've gotten really adjusted to the schedule and stuff.  It's been really good, I've learned a lot and I think I've improved a lot as well."

  Time will tell what role Kaspick might play in Friday's home game against Saskatoon (7:30 p.m., Westman Communications Group Place), but you can be assured he'll be ready for whatever comes his way.

Chaff...D Kale Clague (lower body) practiced fully on Thursday and could return to Brandon's lineup Friday night after missing five weeks...F Nolan Patrick (upper body) practiced in a no-contact jersey Thursday and will be a gameday decision Friday...F Tim McGauley puts his 23-game point-scoring streak on the line Friday.  McGauley has 12 goals and 23 points in his last 14 games against the Blades, the team that selected him in the first round of the 2010 Bantam Draft...F Morgan Klimchuk has 21 points (8 G, 13 A) during his 11-game point-scoring streak...Brandon D Eric Roy enters Friday's contest three points away from becoming the sixth defenceman in Wheat Kings' history to record 200 or more career points.

No comments: