Saturday, 28 March 2015

Gow Addition Paying Dividends in a Lot of Ways


Reid Gow's contribution to the Wheat Kings can't be
measured by statistics alone.
  Reid Gow likes to think of himself as the best road hockey goalie there is out there!

  The 20-year old defenceman has brought an element to the Brandon Wheat Kings in his three short months with the club that wasn’t prominent before his acquisition in early January.
  Shot-blocking!
 “I don’t think I have much form at all,” said Gow after Brandon’s practice in Edmonton Saturday, “I want to do anything to win and if that’s how I’m going to contribute to the Brandon Wheat Kings, I’ll block everything I can.  You have to make sure to get in lanes...no one likes to block shots but if there’s one part of my game that I pride myself on, it’s definitely that.”
  Gow’s modest offensive numbers during the regular season don’t tell the whole story of what his addition has meant to the Wheat Kings.
  The former Spokane Chiefs’ captain has an easy-going nature about him but make no doubt, his competitive nature is something that’s definitely rubbed off on his Brandon teammates.
  It was something Brandon GM/Coach Kelly McCrimmon was hoping would happen when he acquired Gow from Spokane and enticed him to return to the WHL after he spent the first half of the season with the University of Manitoba Bisons.
  “Don Nachbaur, my coach in Spokane, I like to give a lot of credit for that competitive nature.  He’s all about compete...I want to earn everything I get through compete and that’s how I like to play my game,” said Gow, “I’m happy if it rubs off on guys.  There’s lot of guys on this team blocking shots and willing to play greasy and I hope I’m a contributor to that.”
  Gow and the Wheat Kings have a quick turnaround, as they visit Edmonton on Sunday in Game #3 of their Eastern Conference quarter-final series.
  After splitting the opening two games in Brandon, the club will play three in a row at Rexall Place beginning with Sunday’s contest.
Chaff...F Duncan Campbell and F Tanner Kaspick, both of whom missed the opening two games of the series, practiced without restrictions with the Wheat Kings on Saturday...F Reid Duke, who missed the last 16 games of the regular season with a lower body injury, skated on his town ahead of Brandon’s practice Saturday...the Wheat Kings’ 2-1 regular season victory in Edmonton on January 13th broke Brandon’s 14-game losing streak at Rexall Place...Brandon’s 26 road wins during the regular season tied a franchise record...Brandon’s penalty-kill is 7-8 in the series and 35-40 (87.5%) in their last 14 games overall.
 

No comments: