Tuesday, 24 March 2015

Erkamps Excited for Playoff Debut

After 269 regular season games, Macoy Erkamps
will make his WHL playoff debut this week.
  Brandon Wheat Kings' defenceman Macoy Erkamps definitely prefers being on the ice as opposed to a car this time of the year.

  The fourth-year WHL veteran was making his way home to Delta, British Columbia this week the past three seasons after missing the playoffs while with the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

  This year, Erkamps will finally get his long-awaited chance to make his Western Hockey League playoff debut.

  "I'm so excited for playoffs," said Erkamps Monday after the Wheat Kings held a light practice at Westman Communications Group Place, "I've been waiting for this my whole career and I can't wait for it to get started."

  A veteran of 269 career regular season games, Erkamps notched three goals, 31 points and a +29 rating in 68 games with Brandon this season after being acquired along with F Reid Duke from the 'Canes in a trade in late September.

  He's one of ten Wheat Kings that could make their WHL playoff debuts this week, and it isn't something he's taking for granted.

  "I'm pretty much a rookie going into playoffs so I've talked to lots of the guys and all they say is how hard it is, a more physical kind of game and I think I'm ready for it," said Erkamps, "The guys say it's an exciting time and I just can't wait."

  Brandon won three of four meetings with the Oil Kings during the regular season en route to a WHL-best 53-11-4-4 record but that'll all go out the window when the puck drops on the Eastern Conference quarter-final series Thursday night.

  "We're going into the playoffs with the Scotty Munro, obviously, but we have to put that behind us.  It's a clean slate going into the playoffs," said Erkamps, "I know we have a lot of expectations going in but we're going to try our best to live up to it.  I think we just have to play the four-line game that we play and I think we'll be just fine."

  Brandon held a light practice Monday with about 16 of the 25 players on the team's roster participating.

  They're expected to get more down to the business of preparing for the defending WHL and Memorial Cup Champions on Tuesday.

1 comment:

Chuck Dalgliesh said...

Any chance Duke might be back for the playoffs ?