Wednesday, 19 November 2014

Gabrielle Off to Strong Start

Jesse Gabrielle is tied for the team-lead with 12 goals
  It's been a good start to Jesse Gabrielle's second season with the Brandon Wheat Kings.

  The 17-year old is currently tied for the team lead with 12 goals, which also puts him in a tie for fifth spot in the WHL and matches his total from his rookie season.

  "Getting in another summer really helped me out," said Gabrielle after Tuesday's practice, "I think the first year went really well for me, and building on that with a strong start for my second year is really helping me out as well."

  The 6-foot-0, 214 pound Gabrielle strong start can be linked to a steady off-season of training, which also resulted in him testing out as one of the strongest (if not the strongest) member of the Wheat Kings during the club's fitness testing at training camp.

  "My game requires me to have a good amount of strength.  I think working hard with (strength coach Jim Frederickson) really helped me get to where I want to be," said Gabrielle, "I want to be a power forward in this league, a big, strong guy who's hard on the walls, in the corners and in front of the net.  Coming in as strong as I was really gave me a push to the start of the season."

  Gabrielle was a fifth round pick of Brandon in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft (100th overall), which a lot of observers felt was a steal for the team at the time of the draft.

  That seems to be proving to be accurate, with Gabrielle now getting some notice from NHL scouts and being ranked in the top 100 prospects available for the 2015 NHL Draft.

  "I feel I am going to get drafted this year, I'm not sure where it's going to be," said Gabrielle, "Regardless of where I go, it doesn't matter of I'm a first rounder or a seventh rounder, I'm going to outwork everyone that gets drafted within my draft class and it's not going to matter where I am."

  Gabrielle was listed as a B Prospect (2nd or 3rd round candidate) in the preliminary rankings by the NHL Central Scouting Service, while also being 95th in TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button November rankings.

  Gabrielle and the Wheat Kings hit the road on Wednesday, travelling to Swift Current for a matchup with the Broncos (6:30 p.m, 880 CKLQ).

  Brandon is currently seven points ahead of the second-place Broncos in the WHL's East Division standings.

Chaff...Brandon is 2-0-0-0 against the Broncos so far this season...D Kale Clague (upper body) will miss his third straight game Wednesday and is listed on this week's injury report as 'week-to-week'...F Braylon Shmyr also missed practice on Tuesday...Brandon G Jordan Papirny is 6-0 with a 1.46 GAA and .959 SPCT in his last six starts...Wheat Kings' 2012 7th round pick Wade Allison signed his national letter of intent to play college hockey at Western Michigan University.  Allison, who is with Tri-City of the USHL, has yet to play this season after undergoing ankle surgery in September.

No comments: