Thursday, 30 October 2014

Erkamps Set for Return to Lethbridge



Macoy Erkamps

  It’s a return to a place they called home for several seasons for two members of the Brandon Wheat Kings on Friday night.
  Macoy Erkamps and Reid Duke will face Lethbridge for the first time since being acquired by the Wheat Kings from the Hurricanes as part of a six-player trade on September 30th.
  Brandon also got prospect Tak Anholt in the deal while sending a trio of 18-year olds to Lethbridge in F Ryley Lindgren, F Brett Kitt and D Kord Pankewicz.
  “I’m pretty excited but pretty nervous at the same time,”said Erkamps on Thursday after the Wheat Kings arrived in Lethbridge after a lengthy bus trip from Vancouver, “I like the guys on that time and wish them all the best, but we’re playing against them so I’m hoping we’ll pull out a win.”
  Erkamps and Duke aren’t the first former Hurricanes to return to Lethbridge as a member of the Wheat Kings in the last year.
  Defenceman Ryan Pilon was booed as hard as any Wheat Kings’ player in recent memory in Brandon’s two visits to Lethbridge last season after leaving the ‘Canes and requesting a trade than eventually landed him in the a Wheat Kings’ uniform.
  “He got it pretty hard, but I’m just going in there and I’m going to play my game,” said Erkamps, “If I get the some treatment, then oh well.  I hope I don’t, but we’ll see at game time, I guess.”
  Erkamps may have to take on a little extra responsibility this weekend as Pilon is expected to miss at least the next two games after suffering an upper body injury Wednesday in Vancouver.
  Pilon had 18 points in 15 games and a +11 rating while playing on Brandon’s top defence pairing with import Ivan Provorov.
  His absence will leave a void that Erkamps hopes to partially fill.
  “With Pilon being hurt and everything, it might give me some more ice but I’m not expecting anything,” said Erkamps, who has seven points (all assists) and a +5 rating in 12 games with the Wheat Kings,“I’m still just easing my way in, playing with younger guys and I’m just trying to be a leader and a role model for them, help them improve and stuff but also helping my game improve.”
  In recent games, Erkamps was paired with 16-year old Kale Clague while he took spins beside rookies Mark Taraschuk and Mark Matsuba in Wednesday’s 5-2 victory in Vancouver.
Michael Ferland could make NHL debut Friday
Chaff...the Pilon injury coupled with Brandon’s import situation and 16-year olds Nolan Patrick, Kale Clage and Tanner Kaspick being away at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge means the Wheat Kings could dress fewer than the maximum of 18 skaters for Friday’s game in Lethbridge...Brandon’s 12-3-1-0 record in the fastest the team has hit 12 wins since starting the 1997-98 season with a 12-3-1 mark...the Moose Jaw Warriors announced Thursday that former Wheat King Taylor Green has decided to move on from the Warriors and the WHL and focus on his education...Brandon product and former Wheat King Michael Ferland was recalled by the Calgary Flames Thursday and could make his NHL debut Friday when the Flames host Nashville.

No comments: