Friday, 10 October 2014

Early Season Slump Not Bothering Quenneville

Peter Quenneville
  Peter Quenneville is hoping a return to his home province this weekend will turn his early-season fortunes around.

  Quenneville scored 21 goals in 44 games and averaged a team-high 1.18 points per game last season but has yet to find the back of the net this year, registering two assists in Brandon’s opening six games of the regular season.

  “It’s not for lack of chances either.  I think I’ve had four or five 2-on-1’s and posts here and there,” said Quenneville earlier this week, “Just maybe not as poised as I’d like to be with my chances but over the course of history in my career, I’ve just tried to shoot my way out of it...the law of averages will come back around.”

  The 20-year old Quenneville doesn’t seem bothered by the goose egg in his goal column just yet, saying these types of slumps may have bothered him in the past but he’s a little older and a little wiser now.

  “If I’m not scoring now, it means I’ve got a hot streak coming,” said Quenneville, “As a 20-year old now, I’m not going to go the whole season with zero goals so you just hope that it comes sooner rather than later.”

  The Wheat Kings open a three-game road trip Saturday night in Red Deer (7:30 p.m., 880 CKLQ) before visiting Calgary on Sunday and Quenneville’s hometown of Edmonton on Thanksgiving Monday.

  “I think I’ve scored in all three of those buildings so, hopefully, the good fortunes in front of friends and family will continue,” added Quenneville, “It’s a big weekend for us.  I think it’s a test of where we’re really at in terms of our conference.”

  Brandon’s lineup could get a boost this weekend as fifth-year defenceman Eric Roy is close to returning from an upper body injury suffered while playing with Calgary Flames’ prospects at the Young Stars’ Tournament in Penticton in mid-September.

   The 20-year old Roy is the Wheat Kings active leader in games played (256), assists (112) and points (155).
Chaff...Wheat Kings’ F John Quenneville, who is out of Brandon’s lineup for at least a couple of weeks with an upper body injury, is close to agreeing to an entry-level contract with the New Jersey Devils.  The Devils chose Quenneville in the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft...Rookie D Ivan Provorov takes a five-game point streak (2 G, 5 A) into Saturday’s contest while F Tyler Coulter is on a three-game point streak (2 G, 2 A)...Brandon was #4 in this week’s Canadian Hockey League rankings, down one spot from the first two weeks of the season.

No comments: