Wednesday, 3 September 2014

Shmyr Looks to Contribute More

Braylon Shmyr
  Braylon Shmyr is looking to take a big step forward in his second season with the Brandon Wheat Kings.

  The 17-year was Brandon's first round pick in the 2012 Bantam Draft and notched three goals and nine points in 34 games as a rookie last season.

  Shmyr is one of 12 returning forwards on the Wheat Kings' pre-season roster and will not only be battling his fellow returnees for icetime, but will also be challenged by top Brandon prospects like Nolan Patrick and Tanner Kaspick.

  "For this year, I've got one year in so I'll be a lot more confident going into my second season and I feel I'll contribute a lot more than I did last year," said Shmyr this week, "I just have to go out there and prove that I can earn that icetime, work hard every practice and every game and earn my icetime, for sure."

  The 5-foot-9, 163 pound Shmyr is still the smallest player on the Wheat Kings' roster, but did add 15 pounds to his playing weight since the end of last season.

  "Last year, I was a little smaller but this year it'll help me a lot since I'm a lot stronger" predicts Shmyr, "That'll pick up my game, for sure."

  Brandon opens their pre-season by hosting the Regina Pats on Friday.

Chaff...D Taylor Green and D Kale Clague both practiced with the Wheat Kings on Tuesday.  Green missed all of training camp and Clague the final two days of camp because of injury...the Prince Albert Raiders announced Tuesday that Brandon product Carson Perreaux has chosen to end his WHL career in order to pursue educational and work opportunities.

No comments: