Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Papirny Off to Habs' Camp

Jordan Papirny talks things over with
Wheat Kings' goaltending coach Matt
Cockell during training camp last week
  Six members of the Brandon Wheat Kings will be heading off to NHL camps in the next week or so including goaltender Jordan Papirny.

  The 18-year old is undrafted but attended the Montreal Canadiens' Development Camp in July and showed well enough to earn a free agent invitation back to the Habs' Rookie Camp later this month.

  "When I got invited to the Development Camp, I kind of said to myself that my next goal was to make the Rookie Camp and leave Development Camp with a good impression," said Papirny, "I thought I did well and I'm excited to head there for Rookie Camp."

  Papirny went 22-15-7 during his rookie season with the Wheat Kings' in 2013-2014, with a 3.28 goals against average and .900 save percentage before upping his game in the playoffs, going 5-4 with a .914 SPCT and 3.54 GAA.

  Despite showing some potential, the Edmonton product was not chosen in June's NHL Draft, and that led to the invite from Montreal to attend their Development Camp just hours after the draft was completed.

  "I wanted to leave there with a good impression and maybe try and make the main camp...that's the goal for me, go there, work hard and have fun," said Papirny, "Obviously, it's the next step.  It's similar in ways to when I was playing midget and I would come here.  It's a bigger jump and there a lot of things that I need to work on to make that jump and I just want to get better every day."

  The former first round bantam draft pick will have Brandon's #1 job to himself in 2014-2015, with an expectation of starting 50-55 games.

  20-year olds Eric Roy (Calgary), Peter Quenneville (Columbus) and Richard Nejezchleb (NY Rangers) and 2014 picks John Quenneville (New Jersey) and Jayce Hawryluk (Florida) will also be off to NHL camps in the next week or so.

  Meanwhile, the Wheat Kings will hit the ice for the first time as a team Tuesday as they begin preparations for the start of their pre-season.

  Brandon will host Regina on Friday before visiting the Pats on Saturday.

No comments: