Thursday, 28 August 2014

Thiessen Getting Name Out

Dylan Thiessen had a goal and an assist for Team Black
in Wednesday's scrimmage at Wheat Kings' Rookie Camp
  When you're drafted behind Nolan Patrick, Kale Clague and Tanner Kaspick, it's not difficult to fly under the radar.

  Winnipeg product Dylan Thiessen is hoping to chance that his week.

  Brandon's fifth round pick in the 2013 Bantam Draft took to the ice Wednesday along with 46 other prospects (28 forwards, 14 defencemen and five goaltenders in total) as the Wheat Kings opened their 2014 Training Camp.

  "That was a really good draft year, and it's hard to get my name in there sometimes," said Thiessen, "I worked my best to get seen, play hard out here to get my name in there."

  The 6-foot-0, 185 pound Thiessen had a goal and an assist in the first scrimmage of Wheat Kings' Rookie Camp Wednesday night although his squad fell 5-4 in a shootout to Team White.

  Last year, Thiessen scored 17 goals and 41 points with the Winnipeg Wild, helping the club capture the Manitoba AAA Midget Hockey League title.

  "I had a good year myself, and my team did well," said Thiessen, "I'm happy with how I did and happy to get going next year.  I worked hard this summer, I'm prepared.  I'm kind of use to it now, I'm not as nervous as I was before.  I prepared a lot this summer."

  Thiessen also played with Manitoba at the Under-16 Western Challenge Cup last fall, scoring one goal and two points in four games in helping Manitoba to a bronze medal finish.

  The Wheat Kings' Rookie Camp continues Thursday with scrimmages scheduled for 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Chaff...Duncan Campbell had the shootout winner for Team White in Wednesday's scrimmage, with Stelio Mattheos scored twice in regulation.  James Shearer and MacKenzie Welke also scored for White while Kaspick, Connor Gutenberg and Bradly Goethals had the other Team Black goals.  Logan Thompson and Justin Klassen combined to stop 33 of 37 shots for the winners while Evan Robert, Josh Dechaine and Hunter Arps teamed up to stop 40 of 44 in the Black net.

No comments: