Friday, 29 August 2014

Shearer Looking to Get Noticed

Brandon product James Shearer (in white) is
one of four unlisted players remainin in the
Wheat Kings' training camp.
  The Brandon Wheat Kings wrapped up their Rookie Camp on Thursday night, and their Main Camp gets underway Friday.

  50 players will participate in Main camp, with the 16 returnees being joined by 34 rookies, prospects and unlisted free agents.

  Among those remaining in camp is defenceman James Shearer, who was originally drafted by Calgary in the 2012 Bantam Draft and had gone to the Hitmen's training camp the past two years.

  "I want to come out here and try to play my game, work on my games, stay focused, have fun with the guys," said Shearer on Thursday, "Obviously, I want to try and get noticed and try to do my best out here and play my best and whatever happens, happens."

  Shearer had 15 goals and 54 points in 44 games with the Brandon AAA Midget Wheat Kings last season and also played five games with the MJHL's Steinbach Pistons.

  Normally, there aren't a lot of expectations for the 17-year old unlisted player in a WHL Training Camp, but Shearer says he has some expectations of his own he wants to meet.

  "There's always going to be expectations.  I have my own expectations that I want to meet and surpass them even and other people have expectations that they think I should meet as well," said Shearer, "Those are my goals and I kind of strive for those and hope to do my best."

  Shearer is one of 15 defencemen still in camp with Brandon.

  Among the others is 19-year old Michael Mylchreest, who spent two seasons with the WHL's Prince George Cougars before spending last season with Springfield in the North American Hockey League.

  Thursday night's rookie camp scrimmage saw Nolan Patrick set up three goals to lead Team White to a 6-4 victory over Team Black.

  2013 third round pick Ty Lewis left Thursday's game with an apparent arm injury, while two other rookies missed time on Thursday.

  Tanner Kaspick sat out the evening scrimmage with a hip flexor and Tristen Elder did not participate Thursday because of a shoulder injury.

No comments: