Saturday, 30 August 2014

Gourley Soaking up Experience

Jarrod Gourlay is one of six 2014 Draft picks still at
the Brandon Wheat Kings' training camp
  This week has been quite the experience for members of the Brandon Wheat Kings' 2014 draft class, including defenceman Jarrod Gourley.

  The third round pick in May's Bantam Draft feels he's held his own, and achieved a goal of making in into and through the main portion of the Wheat Kings' training camp.

  "Definitely a good experience to be here.  Rookie (camp) was fast-paced, but it's even faster now at Main (camp)," said Gourley on Saturday, "It's good experience because I know I won't be sticking around with the team this year.  It's good for me for next year, and even just to get ready for my tryout this year."

  Gourley is one of six players selected in the 2014 Bantam Draft remaining in Wheat Kings' camp, joining first overall pick Stelio Mattheos, Ian Mitchell, Connor Gutenberg, James McIsaac and Jeremy Klessens.

  "My goal was just to leave an impression, and I think I'm doing that right now," added Gourley, "I think I've been doing all right but I think I can do better.  I can still use my physical presence a bit more and use my shot, but other than that I'm doing all right."

  The 6-foot-1, 197 pound Gourley expects to play this season with the Calgary Buffaloes of the Alberta Midget Hockey League.

  Overall, Brandon has 46 players remaining on their roster as they prepare to bring the curtain down on their training camp Sunday with their annual intrasquad game (2 p.m., Westman Communications Group Place).

  Four players are sidelined with injury including returning defenceman Taylor Green, who has yet to step on the ice at camp due to a leg injury.

  Top prospect Kale Clague and forwards Tristen Elder and Ty Lewis are also injured, with Lewis suffereing a fractured arm on Thursday night.

No comments: