Thursday, 31 July 2014

Ferland Bouncing Back from Injury

Michael Ferland is one of several former and
current Wheat Kings instructing at the club's annual
hockey school this week.
  Michael Ferland is feeling confident about his chances of playing in the National Hockey League this season.

  The former Wheat King is back in Brandon this week, helping out at the Wheat Kings' annual hockey school.

  The 22-year old Calgary Flames' prospect underwent knee surgery last January that caused him to miss the entire second half of what was his first full professional season.

  Ferland has six goals and 18 points in 25 games with the AHL's Abbotsford Heat last season, with all of those points coming in the last 14 games prior to the injury.

  "I was feeling really good at the time.  I was really confident in myself and I was looking forward to, hopefully, getting the call up there and what happend with my knee was a big setback and probably one of the hardest things I've had to deal with in my career," said Ferland on Wednesday, "I think it's really helped me out personally and I've really found out a lot of stuff about myself that I needed to figure out.  I just feel 100 per cent right now and I'm just looking forward to start playing again."

  A fifth round pick of the Flames in the 2010 NHL Draft, Ferland had a strong training camp with Calgary before being assigned to Abbotsford last fall, and could be in the mix for a roster spot with Calgary when NHL training camps open in mid-September.

  "I feel there's a spot open for me.  I've had meetings with the coaches and the GM, and I just have to go into camp and have a really strong camp and, hopefully, stick around," said Ferland, "Everything is going good.  Just been doing a lot of rehab, just trying to get more muscle back and just working on my strength.  My knee feels really good right now and I'm just looking forward to playing hockey again."

  Ferland isn't the only Flames' prospect helping out at the Wheat Kings' hockey school.

  20-year old efenceman Eric Roy is also in the Wheat City, though the 2013 draft pick has yet to agree to a contract with Calgary.

No comments: