Thursday, 26 June 2014

Quenneville Anxious to be Drafted

John Quenneville
  He's been anticipating it for months and, this weekend, it'll become a reality for Brandon Wheat Kings' centre John Quenneville.

  Quenneville is expected to be chosen in the 2014 NHL Draft this week, with most prognosticators projecting him to be an early-to-mid second round selection.

  It's been a big climb for Quenneville during his draft year, as the Edmonton product wasn't even among the prospects ranked in the first rankings released by the NHL Central Scouting Service last fall.

  "I came into the year less touted than I wanted to be, and I worked my way up in those regards and kind of established myself," said Quenneville earlier this week, "From there, I really started to play good hockey and got my name out there."

  The Edmonton product scored 25 goals and 58 points in 61 games in 2013-2014, and then had a breakthrough post-season by scoring a team-high 13 points in nine playoff contests.

  He was then chosen to play for Canada's bronze-medal winning team in the World Under-18 Hockey Championship.

  "I liked [Quenneville] a lot," said Central Scouting's David Gregory on Quenneville's www.nhl.com profile, "He's a hard worker; he works hard to possess the puck. He makes good plays very quickly and is good at moving the puck. I'd like to see more consistency from him, but I like the way he finds open spaces and his ability to make any kind of pass."

  Quenneville and Wheat Kings' teammate Jayce Hawryluk will continue the pre-draft process Thursday, as they'll be interviewed by several NHL teams in Philadelphia.

  "Just having him going through, literally, just about the same experience as I am, because we're right around the same range," said Quenneville, "We get to talk about what we're experiencing and stuff like that.  It's just great to have that guy around me."

  The first round of the NHL Draft takes place Friday night, with rounds 2-7 taking place on Saturday.

  "I'm feeling pretty anxious at this point now.  I had thought about it a lot but I didn't really start feeling anxious until the end of last week, and then it really hit me that we're really close," added Quenneville, "I'm really excited for it.  I think Iearned a lot and just want it to happen."

No comments: