Monday, 30 June 2014

Papirny Headed to Habs' Camp

Jordan Papirny
  Brandon Wheat Kings' goaltender Jordan Papirny is headed to the Montreal Canadiens' development camp this weekend.

  Papirny went undrafted in this past weekend's NHL Draft, so the invitation is a nice consolation prize for the 18-year old Edmonton product.

  "Every athlete goes through adversity at some time in their career and, unfortunately for me, it's at this time," said Papirny this week, "I'm lucky enough to be going to Montreal in a couple of days and I'll learn as much as I can and I think I'll really benefit from it."

  Papirny had a 3.28 goals against average and .900 save percentage in 46 appearances with the Wheat Kings in his rookie season in 2013-2014.

  "Probably about 20 minutes after the draft finished, I just got a call from my agent saying that Montreal will be calling soon and, sure enough, they did," said Papirny, " I waited around to see if I'd get any other calls and Montreal was the only one so I decided to go with them."

  A good performance could earn Papirny a return to invitation to attend Montreal's rookie camp this fall, and perhaps that same opportunity with another NHL team.

  "I've been picking a lot of people's brains about what goes on at these development camps and what to expect, and everyone has told me the same thing," said Papirny, "Just go work hard, take everything in and just really enjoy and learn as much as I can."

  Papirny would be eligible again for the 2015 NHL Draft unless he impresses enough to earn a contract.

No comments: