Thursday, 21 November 2013

Wheat Kings Win Streak Ends

Jesse Gabrielle scored his first two career WHL
goals in Wednesday's loss in Medicine Hat.
  Tommy Vannelli scored a power-play goal 42 seconds into overtime to lift the Medicine Hat Tigers to a 4-3 victory over the Brandon Wheat Kings on Wednesday night.

  The winning goal came after Brandon captain Ryan Pulock was handed a questionable boarding penalty with 29 seconds left in the third period.

  “I struggle with the call on Ryan Pulock with 30 seconds left,” said Brandon GM/Coach Kelly McCrimmon on CKLQ’s post-game show, “That’s as textbook of an example of how you want a defenceman to handle that player as you could possibly have so really disappointed with that call.”

  Miles Koules also scored the game-tying goal for Medicine Hat with 3:15 left in the third period while Brandon went 0-for-4 with the man advantage including three chances early in the third including 68 seconds of 5-on-3.

  “We knew coming out of the intermission that we were starting with the full two minutes, then had the 5-on-3 opportunity to try and go up by two,” said McCrimmon, “We just didn’t make the plays that we needed to to capitalize.”

  The loss snapped Brandon’s four-game winning streak and also ruined a milestone game for Wheat Kings’ rookie Jesse Gabrielle.

  The 16-year old played alongside 20-year olds Chad Robinson and Jens Meilleur for the second straight game and scored the first two goals of his WHL career and set up Eric Roy for Brandon’s other goal.

  “Their line supplied all of our offence, and nice goals and really good plays and they were full marks,” said McCrimmon, “I thought Jesse had a really good game and because he’s moved up a line, he gets to play a little bit more.”

  Jordan Papirny made his ninth straight start in goal for Brandon and finished with 26 saves in the Wheat Kings’ net.

  Brandon (13-11-1-0) will continue their road trip this weekend with a doubleheader in Cranbrook against the Kootenay Ice on Friday and Saturday.

Chaff...former Wheat King Taylor Cooper was stretchered off the ice during the first period in his Lethbridge debut Wednesday after going into the end boards after beating out an icing call.  Cooper later tweeted out that he had suffered a concussion and a shoulder injury...Brandon product Carson Perreaux’s eighth goal of the season was the only one of the game in Prince Albert’s 1-0 home-ice victory over Swift Current Wednesday.


TigerTurf said...

That late call was a horrible call...this coming from a Tiger Fan.

The only reason they called it was because Bredo was doing everything he could to squeak by and got caught in an awkward position doing so. It was a bad call.

The refs were very selective last night. Letting a lot of things go then singling one player out for something that happened multiple times already.

Luber said...

I agree. I thought the officiating was spotty all night.

I'd also like to say that although the call on Pulock was poor (IMO), Brandon's inability to capitalize on their power-play chances early in the third period was one of the main reasons they didn't win Wednesday.

Overall, I thought it was a fairly evenly played and entertaining game.