Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Palmer Starting to Find Game

Jack Palmer
  One milestone down, one to go for Wheat Kings' rookie Jack Palmer.

  The 17-year old registered his first Western Hockey League point, an assist, in Sunday's loss to Swift Current but is still looking for that elusive first WHL goal.

  Palmer finished sixth in league scoring in the Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League last season, notching 24 goals and 53 points in 37 games with the Saanich Braves.

  He feels he's starting to regain some of that offensive confidence.

  "I lost it a bit at the start of the year and I couldn't really find my way but I feel more and more that I'm getting it back with confidence," said Palmer after Tuesday's Wheat Kings' practice, "I hope to be an offensive guy in this league so I'm hoping to carry over what I did last year to this team."

  Palmer had a tough start to the season but his game started to pick up during the Wheat Kings' lengthy road trip in late October.

  That coincided with a visit back to his hometown of Victoria.

  "Going home was good for me.  I got to see my family, and playing at home, I got some confidence back and what-not and have been carrying it on from there," said Palmer, "Obviously, I've had a couple of dips where I haven't played that great but I'm just hoping to keep it up, try and do well and put up some points."

  Palmer is one of three Wheat Kings still looking for their first career WHL goals.

  Defenceman Riley Van Horne and centre Kord Pankewicz are the others.

Chaff...Wheat Kings' captain Ryan Pulock is on the West Coast this week as he prepares to play for Team WHL in the Subway Super Series.  Pulock will play Game Five of the series tonight in Vancouver with Game Six in Victoria on Thursday.  The series between the CHL and the Russian Selects is currently tied at two games apiece...F Victor Rask has been assigned to the WHL’s Calgary Hitmen by the NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes...D Alex Theriau, 20, has apparently joined the Regina Pats after being released by Medicine Hat last week. Theriau could be taking the spot of D Colton Jobke, who is out indefintely with an upper body injury and could be placed on the long-term injury list to open up a 20-year old spot.

No comments: