Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Bertaggia Gets Another Chance at WJC

Alessio Bertaggia was back at practice
Monday for the Wheat Kings
  Brandon Wheat Kings' forward Alessio Bertaggia is going to get a second chance to represent his country at the World Junior Hockey Championship.

  The 19-year old has been invited to attend the Swiss Junior Team's training camp in mid-December and, barring some unforseen circumstance, should be on the squad for the 2013 World Juniors in Ufa, Russia.

  "We have two training camps in Switzerland where I'm going to try and make the team and, hopefully, get into the first two lines of the team," said Bertaggia after Wheat Kings' practice on Monday, "I should have a good chance to be chosen to play for the Swiss team.  It's a great opportunity and, like last year, I would be very proud to represent my country again."

  Bertaggia had one goal and four points in six games at the 2012 World Junior Championship in Alberta as Switzerland finished in eighth-place.

  "I grew up a little bit after World Juniors because I had a chance to see a lot of good players from other countries," said Bertaggia, "I know where I am and I know how much I still have to work to get to that level."

  This year, the 5-foot-9, 165 pound Bertaggia leads the Wheat Kings in scoring in 2012-2012 with 14 goals and 27 points in 23 games.

  After missing three games with a lower body injury, Bertaggia is expected to return to Brandon's lineup Tuesday when the Wheat Kings visit the Swift Current Broncos (6:35 p.m., 880 CKLQ)

  Meanwhile, Ryan Pulock is day-to-day with an upper body injury but will likely miss his third straight game Tuesday with an upper body injury.

  Pulock partially participated in Brandon's practice Monday with a no-contact jersey.

  Forwards Jens Meilleur (lower body) and Tyrel Seaman (upper body) will also remain sidelined for the Wheat Kings and neither is expected to play this week.

No comments: