Friday, 5 October 2012

Pulock Set for Prospects Battle

Ryan Pulock (right) and teammate Ryley Miller at
Wheat Kings' practice on Thursday
  Technically, the Brandon Wheat Kings battle the Portland Winter Hawks on Friday night (7:35 p.m., Westman Communications Group Place).

  However, there's no doubt a big part of the game will be watching Portland's Seth Jones and Brandon's Ryan Pulock go head-to-head.

  The two defencemen are both highly thought of by NHL scouts and expected to be first round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.

  "I think there's a little bit of (enticement) but I try not to think about it too much," said Pulock after practice on Thursday, "I think this is one of my chances to show some people where I match up between him.  I look forward to that but I can't really look at that during the game.  I think just go out there and play another game."

  Pulock is off to a great start to his 2012-2013 season.

  The Grandview, Manitoba product not only leads all WHL defencemen in scoring with nine points, he's tied for the WHL scoring lead while also topping all players with a +10 rating through five games.

  Pulock reported to Wheat Kings' training camp this year at 6-foot-2, 211 pounds -- about 10 pounds more than his playing weight a year ago and about 20 pounds more than he weighed in his rookie season in 2010-2011.

  "Playing this year, compared to last year and the first year, I definitely feel a lot stronger out there and even faster," said Pulock, "I did have some pretty busy off-seasons the last couple of years but I committed myself to trying to get better and I think it's helped me a long way so far."

  A gaggle of NHL scouts is expected at the game Friday, particularly because its Jones' first game in Western Canada.

  But Pulock has been on the scouts radar for the last couple of years, and the just turned 18-year old says he's still adjusting to this year being his draft year, and to be a top prospect.

  "I think it sunk in a little bit.  I hear it quite often but I just try to ignore it," said Pulock, "I'm not trying to change my game any, I'm just coming out here and trying to get better every day and keep doing that I'm doing."

Chaff...Brandon enters the weekend healthy, as all 25 players on the roster participated in practice on Thursday...the Winter Hawks feature just one Manitoban in third-year Winnipeg product Brendan Leipsic but it's also the closest to home Minot's Alex Schoenborn will be this season...Friday night is Manitoba Hydro Fridge Magnet Schedule Giveaway Night, with the first 2,500 fans attending the game will receiving a 2012-13 Wheat Kings' Fridge Magnet Schedule...Brandon product Carson Perreaux scored his first goal of the season to help Prince Albert beat Edmonton 4-1 on Thursday night.

No comments: