Tuesday, 4 September 2012

Yaworski Still Getting Used to Being a Wheat King

Tyler Yaworski
Tyler Yaworski is still getting used to being a Brandon Wheat King.
The 20-year old defenceman was acquired from Prince Albert last month and went through his first training camp as a Wheat King last week.

"It's a little bit different putting on that Wheat Kings' jersey today," said Yaworski after Sunday's Intrasquad game, "We played them almost 20 times (over the last three years). It's a little bit weird seeing a Brandon Wheat Kings' chrest in the middle there but I'm going to get used to it."

The 6-foot-4, 205 pound Yaworski made some tremendous strides in his third season in the Western Hockey League last year and credits former NHLer and Raiders' assistant coach Dave Manson for helping him improve.

"I think experience also helped, and confidence is a big thing for me but I think Prince Albert really helped me out, especially Dave Manson last year," said Yaworski, "With him having as many games as the NHL, it really helped me along and he kind of played a similar style to me. I think he helped me out a lot last year."

Acquired for a fifth round pick in the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft, Yaworski could prove to be a valuable addition to the Wheat Kings considering his blend of ruggedness and defensive posture.

"I take pride in my defensive game first, obviously, and I play with a little bit of an edge. Sometimes, I may cross that and I need to chill out a little bit," added Yaworski, "I think over the course of my three years in the league so far, that's what I've brought every night. I haven't taken a night off, so."

Yaworski could be a nice partner for either Ryan Pulock or Eric Roy, two third-year defencemen who have premium offensive skills and would benefit from being paired with a more defensive-minded partner.

That's just one of the things the Wheat Kings will look to sort out over their four-game pre-season schedule.

That gets underway Thursday when they visit the Regina Pats.

Chaff...The Regina Pats apparently have signed Russell product Rylee Zimmer, who was a fifth round selection in the 2012 bantam draft, to a standard WHL education contract. Zimmer spent last season with the Notre Dame Argos of the Saskatchewan AAA Midget Hockey League...tickets for the Brandon Wheat Kings Home Opener as well as their two September pre-season home games will go on sale today at the Keystone Centre box office. The Wheat Kings open the regular season on Friday, September 21st when they host the Regina Pats. In addition to purchasing tickets at the box office or by calling 726-3555, fans can also order online by visiting www.keystonecentre.com.

No comments: