Friday, 31 August 2012

Van Horne Pushing for Roster Spot

Riley Van Horne
There's not a lot of room on the Brandon Wheat Kings' blueline for the upcoming season but rookie Riley Van Horne is hoping to crack the roster.

The 16-year old Calgary product has spent the past month in the Wheat City, preparing for Brandon's training camp.

"I'm here for the past month, I've working out with (Wheat Kings' strength coach) Jim Frederickson and he's gotten me stronger and he's gotten me in shape," said Van Horne on Thursday, "I had to work a lot harder over the past year and throughout the summer just to get where I need to be. I think it's paid off...it's going good so far but it was a lot more work, that's for sure."

The 6-foot-1, 185 pound Van Horne had two goals and nine points in 22 games with Kelowna's Pursuit of Excellence midget team last season.

"What I loved about it was that it was good to expand my hockey skills," said Van Horne, "We were on the ice every day, we were doing off-ice skills, it really made me a better hockey player."

The Wheat Kings boast five returning defencemen in Ryan Pulock, Eric Roy, Ryley Miller, Ayrton Nikkel and Rene Hunter.

In addition, newly acquired veteran Tyler Yaworski and rookie Colton Waltz are expected to fill two other blueline spots.

Despite the logjam on the backend, Van Horne says he felt he put forth a good showing at Rookie Camp this last two days, and wants that trend to continue as Main Camp opens on Friday.

"I feel I need to work my hardest, win every battle and not make any mistakes and just play a really good defensive game," said Van Horne, a fifth round pick in the 2011 Bantam Draft, "I feel I've made my physical presence known, that I can carry the puck and show my kind of skills."

Van Horne is one of 16 defencemen at Main Camp, with the Wheat Kings keeping a total of 61 players for their full training camp.

Friday's Main Camp Schedule
Team White Practice, 8 a.m.
Goalie Session, 9:30 a.m.
Team Black vs. Team Gold, 10:30 a.m.
Team Black Practice, 5 p.m.
Team White vs. Team Gold, 6:30 p.m.

Main Camp Roster
Note: Birth Year in parenpheses.
* - returnee
INJ - injured

Goaltenders: (6)
*Corbin Boes (93)
Nolan Bray (95)
*Curtis Honey (94)
Jordan Papirny (96)
Evan Robert (97)
Logan Thompson (97)

Defencemen: (16)
Tanner Browne (97)
*Rene Hunter (93)
Aaron Kellogg (97)
Mark Matsuba (97)
*Ryley Miller (92)
*Ayrton Nikkel (95)
Brett Orr (96)
*Ryan Pulock (94)
*Eric Roy (94)
Mark Taraschuk (97)
Dominic Thom (96)
Riley Van Horne (96)
Colton Waltz (95)
Ty Webber (95)
Evan Werle (97)
*Tyler Yaworski (92)

Forwards: (39)
Wade Allison (97)
*Daniel Asham (94)
inj-MacKenzie Bauer (96)
*Alessio Bertaggia (93)
Jordan Bochinski (96)
Dakota Boutin (97)
*Nick Buonassisi (92)
Taylor Cooper (95)
Tyler Coulter (96)
Tristen Elder (97)
* inj-Dominick Favreau (92)
Jesse Gabrielle (97)
Kailum Gervais (95)
Hayden Goderis (95)
Liam Gregor (96)
Tyler Ham (96)
Corey Haverstick (95)
Jayce Hawryluk (96)
Kyler Hehn (95)
Brett Kitt (96)
Ryley Lindgren (96)
Quintin Lisoway (95)
Conner Lukan (97)
Kirklan Lycar (97)
Liam MacLeod (97)
Tim McGauley (95)
Geordie Maguire (95)
Nick Mathews (96)
* inj-Jens Meilleur (93)
Jason Miller (96)
Richard Nejezchleb (94)
Jack Palmer (95)
Kord Pankewicz (96)
John Quenneville (96)
*Tyler Seaman (94)
Braylon Shmyr (97)
Hunter Smith (95)
Dallas Starodub (96)
Brandon Switzer (95)
*Jason Swyripa (93)

No comments: