Thursday, 30 August 2012

Pankewicz Fine Up Front or on Blueline

Kord Pankewicz could by an asset up front or on the blueline
during his Wheat Kings' career
Kord Pankewicz could be performing double duty with the Brandon Wheat Kings this year.

Drafted as a defenceman when he was chosen 11th overall in the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft, Pankewicz spent all of last year playing centre with the Telus Cup host Leduc Oil Kings.

The 16-year old is expected to se most of his action this season up front but spent the first day of Wheat Kings' Rookie Camp Wednesday lining up on the blueline.

"I want to push as hard as I can and, hopefully, earn a spot," said Pankewicz, "I think my strength is good enough but I should have worked a little more on my speed. That's a little lacking right now but once I get my feet moving, it should be good. It's a little different back-pedaling because I haven't done that for a year...it's a little bit harder."

Pankewicz had 37 points in 33 regular season games with Leduc last season and was named the Most Sportsmanlike Player at last spring's National Midget Hockey Championship, producing ten points in seven games at the Telus Cup.

It was rather ironic considering what Pankewicz considers to be his best attributes.

"Strength and vision on the ice. I'm pretty strong for my age and I think I can use that effectively," said Pankwicz, "I know it's going to be harder when I come because every guy is my size and my weight...it's going to be a challenge."

The Wheat Kings have seven veteran defencemen on their roster so it's expected Pankewicz will see most of his action this year up front, but he could still be a valuable asset working the point in the power-play.

"I like both positions and I think can potential play both positions well," said Pankewicz Wednesday night, "It depends what I play for a while. Back when I switched to forward, I like 'D' more because I had played that for a long time and now I like forward more because I've played that for along time. Whatever I'm playing I guess I like."

Thursday's Wheat Kings' Rookie Camp Schedule
Team Gold Practice, 9 a.m.
Team White vs Team Black, 10:30 a.m.
Team White vs Team Gold, 5 p.m.
Team Black vs Team Blue, 7 p.m.

No comments: