Thursday, 16 August 2012

Melnychuk Agrees to ECHL Deal

Brodie Melnychuk
Former Brandon Wheat King Brodie Melnychuk is turning pro.

The 21-year old defenceman has signed with the Trenton Titans of the ECHL and the five-year member of the Wheat Kings says he weighed his options between pro and University hockey.

"Hockey is what I like to do and I felt I owed it to myself to give it a shot in the pro ranks and see if I can make a go of playing pro," says Melnychuk, "School is a great option for a lot of people but I felt that if I do well in school, it'll be five years before I can move up to the American League whereas in the ECHL, I can get signed and called up of whatever."

Melnychuk hopes signing with Trenton will also give him the chance to move up in the pro ranks.

"Trenton is a pretty central place on the East Coast, between Philadelphia and New York," added Melnychuk, "It's a good spot to be playing if you want to get called up to the American League or even get a little bit of notice or recognition when you're playing."

Melnychuk spent five seasons with the Wheat Kings, scoring 93 points and recording a plus-67 rating in 318 games.

No comments: