Friday, 31 August 2012

Buonassisi Looking Forward to Filling Offensive Role

Nick Buonassisi in action at Wheat Kings' Training
Camp on Friday
Nick Buonassisi officially stepped on the ice as a member of the Wheat Kings for the first time Friday as Brandon opened the main portion of their 2012 training camp.

The 20-year old was acquired from Lethbridge on sunday night and is expected to provide a boost to a Wheat Kings' forward core that is bringing just one forward that had more than 20 points last season.

"It hasn't even been a week yet and everyone is treating me with a lot of respect," said Buonassisi after Friday's Black & Gold scrimmage, "It's a high-class organization, you can tell as soon as you walk in the door that its very professional. It's nice to be a part of and, hopefully, we keep the winning tradition going."

Buonassisi had 16 goals and 49 points in a combined 69 games with Lethbridge and Prince George last season.

The 5-foot-10, 188 pound product of Coquitlam, B.C. was acquired to provide a boost to a Wheat Kings' team that is bringing back just one forward that had more than 20 points last season.

"I know my role, and my role is to create offence. If I'm not doing that on any team, then I'm not doing my job," said Buonassisi, "I think coming into this year, it's going to be my job to be a leader as an older guy and help the other forwards out, the young guys, because we have a lot of those. It starts in our own end, keep the puck out of our net and we'll go from there."

Buonassisi has 50 goals and 137 points in 250 career WHL games while also accumulating 224 penalty minutes.

I asked him to describe his style of play.

"I'm a smaller guy on the ice but a play a lot bigger than I am. I definitely lay my body around quite a bit, I'm a high energy guy and I try to create as much offence as I can," added Buonassisi, "I lot the skilled plays and Brandon's always been a skilled team. I think it's a good fit for me and I'm really looking forward to it."

Chaff...prospect MacKenzie Bauer suffered a shoulder injury Thursday night at Rookie Camp and will not take part in Main Camp...returning F's Dominick Favreau (back) and Jens Meilleur (back) were sitting to start Main Camp but neither injury is considered serious...the Wheat Kings' training camp continues Friday night with a scrimmage at 6:30 p.m. at Westman Communications Group Place.

No comments: