Monday, 4 June 2012

Camp Experience Different for Top Prospects

Jack Palmer
The Brandon Wheat Kings' Prospects Camp came a close on Sunday.

34 players took part in the camp with many of them eying a full-time spot on the Wheat Kings' roster for the 2012-2013 season including Victoria product Jack Palmer.

Palmer was an eighth round pick of Brandon in the 2010 Bantam Draft and spent this past season with the Saanich Braves of the Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League, notching 24 goals and 53 points and finishing sixth in the league in scoring.

"I got to play against a lot of bigger guys, and it was more physical so I feel like it got me ready for the WHL," said Palmer, the son of former NHLer Brad Palmer, "I also got to jump up for two games with Brandon and that was a huge experience."

The 6-foot-1, 180 pound Palmer is one of the prospects the Wheat Kings hope to have fill one of their many open forward positions on next year's squad.

"I definitely have to train this summer as hard as I ever have," said Palmer, "I hope to do that all summer and then come to camp in better shape."

For Palmer and about a dozen of his fellow prospects, this past weekend's camp was more than a little about showing how ready they are to make the full-time jump to the Western Hockey League next season.

Meanwhile, the 14 players chosen by Brandon in the 2012 Bantam Draft last month were also all in attendance.

None of them are eligible to play in the WHL until 2013-2014 so the Prospects Camp experience was about first impressions.

"I just wanted to get to know the city, the coaches, the other players a little bit more," said defenceman Tanner Browne, Brandon's second round pick last month, "I can see myself in a Wheat Kings' jersey in a couple of years here."

The 5-foot-11, 180 pound Browne also felt that camp gave him a taste of the pace at the WHL level.

"This type of hockey is way more quicker and faster than I'm used to so it took my a little while to get used to it," added Browne, "I think I had an okay weekend here. There's always room for improvement but it was a good time, it was fun."

Tanner Browne

No comments: