Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Robak Close to NHL

Colby Robak (#47) during his stint with the
Florida Panthers in February
Colby Robak enjoyed his short stint in the National Hockey League this season.

The former Wheat King played three games with the Florida Panthers in mid-February, going pointless with a plus-one rating while averaging just over 12 1/2 minutes of ice time.

"It was the most nervous I've been in a very long time," said Robak when he guested on CKLQ's Monday Sports Talk this week, "It's every kids dream to play in the NHL so when I actually got the call, I didn't even know the three games happened and the end of it."

Robak has spent the majority of this season with Florida's AHL affiliate in San Antonio, where he had nine goals and 39 points in 73 regular season games and one goal and four points in five playoff games.

I asked Robak if his short stint with the Panthers gave him confidence that he was close to become a full-time National Hockey League player.

"I felt I was right there. They definitely gave me the ice time, more than I even expected so that's show that they're showing confidence that I can play up there," added Robak, "Hopefully, in the near future, I'm there full time but we'll see how playoffs go here and we'll see how training camp goes next year."

The Rampage face Oklahoma City in the second round of the Calder Cup playoffs.

Here's Robak's full conversation with Kevin Martel and myself from this week's edition of Monday Sports Talk on 880, CKLQ.

video

Chaff...Brandon product and former Wheat King Andrew Clark was a finalist for the CIS Male Athlete of the Year award, which was given to McGill hockey player Marc-Andre Dorion during the 20th annual BLG Awards on Monday night...former Wheat King Mark Louis signed a one-year contract with the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes on Monday.

No comments: