Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Hextall Talks Stanley Cup Final

Ron Hextall appeared in two Stanley
Cup Finals as a Flyer
This week's edition of Monday Sports Talk on CKLQ including a visit with Los Angeles Kings' assistant general manager Ron Hextall.

Hextall played in two Stanley Cup Finals with the Philadelphia Flyers in 1987 and 1997 and won the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP in '87 despite the Flyers falling in seven games to the Edmonton Oilers.

Hextall talked about the difference between a long Stanley Cup playoff runs as a player and as a member of a club's management team.

"When you play, once you get to warmups, you're fine. All your nerves are gone and you just go play the game as you always do," said Hextall, "Sitting up top, you really have no control over the game. It's a little more nerve-wracking up top, I must say."

Hextall was spent six years as the Kings' assistant GM, and his name has surfaced as a viable candidate for a future NHL general manager's job.

The former Wheat King admits that's a long-term goal of his.

"As a kid, I wanted to play in the NHL and when I got to my 30's, I suddenly wanted to become a general manager...that's my goal," said Hextall, "I've been at it 13 years now and, hopefully at some point, I'll get a shot here."

Hextall also discussed his legendary run-in with then Montreal Canadiens defenceman Chris Chelios during the 1989 playoffs and his son Brett's first professional season during his visit with Tyler Crayston and myself.

Here's the full interview...

No comments: