Friday, 2 March 2012

Sundher Hopes to End Season Healthy & Productive

Kevin Sundher practiced w/o restrictions on Thursday
and hopes to return to the Brandon lineup Friday
Kevin Sundher is hoping to end the season on a high note.

The Wheat Kings' centre is expected to return to Brandon's lineup Friday night when they entertain the Lethbridge Hurricanes (7:30 p.m., Westman Communications Group Place).

"It is kind of frustrating. I was starting to get healthy there and I was able to find my legs and my game and just relax and play and then the concussion happened," said Sundher, who missed the last six games, "I'm never missed games in my life in hockey so its a little bit of adversity I've never really gone through. It's not the end of the world, but its definitely a little frustrating."

In addition to his concussion, Sundher was already dealing with some issues related to his asthma.

"It was tough for a while there. I felt like I was in a daze for 2-3 weeks, and I just didn't really get over it," said Sundher, "I just got it this year, it was new and I guess you learn things as you go along. I've learned how to deal with that a little bit better...I'm fine now and breathing good."

Sundher has 10 points in 17 games with Brandon since being acquired from Victoria on January 9th -- numbers far below his expectations.

Despite those struggles, Sundher is confident he'll be a contributor the rest of the year.

"The reason I came here was to help this team win in the playoffs. Obviously, I would have liked to have come in and do that from day one but things don't always work out that way, things don't always work out as planned," said Sundher, "You just have to make adjustments and go with it. I just have to get healthy now and just get back to my game. I'm 100 per cent confident I'll get to the point where I'm happy with anything and go from there. I know I'll be a contributor."

The Wheat Kings should also get Jason Swyripa back in the lineup after he missed five of the last six games with a leg problem.

Tyrel Seaman also practiced without restrictions Thursday but was on a two-player line with Tim McGauley, indicating that he likely won't be playing this weekend.

Seaman has missed 27 straight games and 36 of the last 37 because of back-to-back concussions.

Chaff...F Dylan Kuczek (shoulder) sat out practice Thursday and is listed as being out for two weeks on the WHL Injury Report...the Wheat Kings are undefeated in regulation during their current home stand (4-0-0-1) and have gone 10-2-0-1 in their last 13 games...D Brodie Melnychuk will play his 311th career game Friday, tying him with Tim Konsorada for third-plae on the Wheat Kings' all-time list...the line of Mark Stone, Michael Ferland and Brenden Walker combined for 24 goals and 56 points in 12 games in February...a candlelit vigil will be held at the Fife Ice Arena in Kirkcaldy, Scotland Friday in memory of Fife Flyers player-coach Todd Dutiaume's wife and unborn twins following their death earlier this week. A mark of respect will also be observed at Elite League ice hockey matches this weekend.

No comments: