Thursday, 1 March 2012

Ferland Enjoying Dream Season

Michael Ferland is having the type of season most WHL players just dream about.

The Brandon Wheat Kings' forward has 40 goals and 83 points and is in the top ten in scoring in the WHL, he's signed a entry-level contract with the Calgary Flames and he had a chance to try out for the Canadian National Junior team.

Not bad creditentials for a player that was never chosen in the Bantam Draft and, until four years ago, wasn't even sure he'd be able to play in the WHL.

"I remember when I was played with the Midget team in Brandon, going to Wheat King games and wondering if I could play at this level and compete with these players," said Ferland recently, "Now, playing with the Memorial Cup team and getting drafted, it's all happened so fast, and signing my first contract this year, it's just all been so surreal. It's a great opportunity the Brandon Wheat Kings' organization has given me and I'm just thankful for it."

Ferland's success has also led to him becoming a role model for aboriginal youth, a role the Brandon product takes seriously.

"I remember when I was young and seeing all the aboriginal athletes that were playing hockey in the show or else in the Western Hockey League like Jordin Tootoo," said Ferland, "I remember just looking up to those guys, and now for me to get the opportunity become a role model for some of the kids around here, it's great."

Ferland and current defencemen Eric Roy and Rene Hunter are among the numerous aboriginal players have honed their skills with the Wheat Kings.

Jordin Tootoo, Corey Courchene, Daniel Tetrault and Mike Wirll are other examples of aboriginal players who've played and had success with Brandon in recent years.

No comments: