Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Wheat Kings Take It to the ODR

It was a break from the usual rigors of practice for the Brandon Wheat Kings on Tuesday.

The club spent just under an hour playing a little 3-on-3 shinny on an outdoor rink at the West End Community Centre in Brandon.

It was old hat for forward Michael Ferland, who grew up honing his skills on Brandon's outdoor rinks.

"It's always was a thing I did when I was younger and I still love it," said Ferland after the shinny session, "It's fun to do stuff like this. To get all the guys together and get on the rink out here is a lot of fun."

"I practiced a lot, with my minor hockey, we practiced on the outdoor rink all the time," added Ste. Anne, Manitoba product Brenden Walker, "I had a pond in my back yard that we used to play on. I've grown up playing on outdoor rinks and really enjoyed it."

The Wheat Kings' experience also included the players from the 'losing team' having to scrape the ice with shovels midway through the ice session.

As you might expect, the Wheat Kings attracted a bit of an audience, mainly a group of about 20 kids from a local day care close to the Community Centre, and the club spent some time signing some autographs afterward.








No comments: