Saturday, 15 October 2011

'Red 23' Set for Second Appearance in Portland

Red 23 is now White, Gold & Black 13
Just over a year go, the legend of Red 23 was born.

Tonight, the Portland Winterhawks will get a chance to see the ‘unknown player’ from their 2010 training camp up close.

Wheat Kings’ rookie Alessio Bertaggia caused a stir last August when he participated in a couple of scrimmages during Portland’s training camp.

He performed quite well, drawing attention to himself and creating a controversy because the Winterhawks failed to list him on their training camp roster and, under WHL and IIHF rules, the team would not have been able to a) have an undrafted import player in camp and b) have a European player participating that did not have his IIHF release.

“I just asked if I could come here to just skate with the guys, watch how they practice and how is the small rink,” said Bertaggia Saturday as the Wheat Kings prepared to meet the Winterhawks, “They just told me that I could come, but I couldn’t play any games…and after two practices, they told me I couldn’t play any games.”

The Winterhawks were eventually punished by the Western Hockey League for allowing Bertaggia to participate in training camp, although the nature of that punishment was never publicly released.

I'll have the interview with Bertaggia on my pre-game show, which begins at 8:35 p.m.

No comments: