Monday, 17 October 2011

Liston, Galbraith Excited for Opportunity

Spencer Galbraith
Liam Liston and Spencer Galbraith are leaving Brandon with good memories, and are looking forward to a new challenge.

The two 18-year olds were traded to the Lethbridge Hurricanes on Sunday in exchange for goaltender Brandon Anderson, 19, plus third and sixth round picks in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft.

“It kind of came out of left field a little bit, especially with who was involved,” said Liston on Sunday evening, “I’m sure most of the guys had an inkling that something was going to happen, but we probably thought the dance partner was going to be a little different.”

Galbraith also thought he might be moved, especially with the Wheat Kings carrying nine defencemen up until Sunday’s deal.

“I had a feeling that there was a few of the older, veteran guys that were on the block here and I figured I was one of them,” said Galbraith on Sunday, “I tried to brace myself as good as I could for this, but it still hit me hard…I have a lot of good friends here.”

Liam Liston
Both Liston and Galbraith are looking forward to increased opportunities with Lethbridge.

“It’s a really good opportuinity for me and Spencer,” said Liston, “We’re a lot closer to home now, on a team that might be rebuilding sort of phrase, but I think we can provide some veteran leadership and help them win some hockey games along the way.”

The Hurricanes also dealt 19-year old defenceman Derek Ryckman to Tri-City, and 18-year old blueliner Reid Jackson to Prince George on Sunday, which opens up some blueline spots that Galbraith hopes to fill.

“I want to go there, and I want to be an impact player…I don’t just want to go there just to go there,” said Galbraith, “I want to go there and play my best every night, and give the Lethbridge team a chance to win and I think I can help them out and win some games for them. I think me and Liam are two pretty good guys to have on your team.”

Both Liston and Galbraith were also quick to thank their teammates and their billet families for all their support in the time with the Wheat Kings.

The duo will make their debuts for Lethbridge on Monday night, when the Hurricanes host the Kootenay Ice.

No comments: