Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Gow Still with Plenty to Learn

Reid Gow (photo courtesy spokanechiefs.com)
Reid Gow might be in his second Western Hockey League season, but the Killarney product says he hardly feels like a veteran.

The 17-year old Gow experienced some growing pains during his rookie season with the Spokane Chiefs, finishing with two goals and 11 points in 41 games.

The Chiefs are expecting bigger things from the 16th overall pick in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft in 2011-2012, but Gow admits he still has a lot of learning to do.

“There’s still a huge learning process,” said Gow after Chiefs’ practice on Tuesday, “I was young last year, and I’m still young this year. I’m only 17 so I’m still pretty much a rookie.”

Gow admits he had trouble handling bigger, older players in his rookie season – especially in the defensive zone.

That’s something he tried to correct during the off-season.

“I definitely had to get a lot stronger. There are bigger, stronger guys to play against so I had to work on strength for sure,” said the 6-foot-0, 185 pound Gow, “I just went hard every day, didn’t take many days off during the summer.”

Gow’s development with the Chiefs could be spurred by emulating someone in his own dressing room.

Brenden Kichton is similar in size to Gow (6-foot-0, 190 pounds) and had 81 points and a +55 rating in 64 games with the Chiefs last season, and is the leader on the Spokane blueline this year.

“He’s my kind of player. He’s offensive, he’s smaller, he plays both ends of the ice very well, he’s as great defensively as he is offensively,” said Gow, “That’s who I learn the most from, I think.”

Kichton was a fifth round pick of New York Islanders in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft while Gow is currently in his draft year.

The former Southwest Cougar says he hasn’t given it much thought at this point.

“I’d be a great honour, but I’m really not think about that. I just want to get the team going and hopefully contribute to the Spokane Chiefs’ organization any way possible,” said Gow, “It’s a long ways away, but I’ll work me (tail) off just to see what can happen.”

Gow is off to a decent start to his sophomore season, with one goal and five points in five games so far including a four assist effort in Spokane’s home opener against Tri-City on October 1st.

I'll have a full interview with Reid Gow during the second intermission of our Wheat Kings' broadcast on CKLQ tonight.

Chaff…Spokane’s roster also includes former Wheat Kings’ prospect and Brandon product Cody Nelson, who is pointless with nine penalty minutes in three games so far this season…Brandon D Rene Hunter skated on his own following the Wheat Kings’ meeting at the rink Wednesday morning, which probably means he won’t return from his above shoulder injury versus the Chiefs…Brandon’s Michael Ferland takes a four-game goal-scoring streak into Wednesday’s game while Mark Stone and Alessio Bertaggia both have points in all six regular season games for the Wheat Kings…the Lethbridge Hurricanes dealt former Chief Matt Marantz, 20, to the Regina Pats on Wednesday for a fourth round pick in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft.

video

No comments: