Wednesday, 21 September 2011

Special Night for Ex Wheat Kings' Captains


Shayne Wiebe (#76) was thrilled to play for the Jets in
Tuesday's pre-season game
It was quite a thrill for a pair of former Wheat Kings' captains on Tuesday night.

Shayne Wiebe saw 13:45 of ice time for the Winnipeg Jets in their 6-1 victory over Matt Calvert and the Columbus Blue Jackets in NHL pre-season action before a sold out crowd of 15,004 at the MTS Centre.

Wiebe says just playing in a pre-season game was pretty special, and the atmosphere wasn't something he'd experienced before.

"It was quite the atmosphere for a pre-season game, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before," said Wiebe following Tuesday's contest, "I think it was just a dream to play in the NHL, and to be able to get into that first pre-season game was pretty special."

Wiebe signed an AHL contract with the Jets back in July, and has not only got a chance to play with the team at the Young Stars Tournament in Penticton earlier this month, but now has an NHL training camp and pre-season game under his belt.

"I guess the more you play, and the better you play, confidence comes with it," said Wiebe, who had 44 goals with the Wheat Kings last season, "Just keep playing, try to play outside my elements and see where it takes me."


Matt Calvert fends off Jets' D Zach Bogosian
Matt Calvert, meanwhile, is getting ready for what he hopes will be his first full season in the National Hockey League.

Calvert, who turns 22 in December, played 42 games with the Blue Jackets last season following his January call-up, scoring 11 goals and 20 points.

"I think you learn as you go on and you just have to bring your game up to the next level, and you get more confident in different areas of your game," said Calvert Tuesday, "For me during the pre-season, I just have to show that I belong here, keep making hard and get better game-by-game."

Calvert was held pointless in 15:40 of ice-time on Tuesday night, finishing the contest with a -2 rating.

The Brandon product says he's trying to adjust his mental approach to being a full-time NHL player.

"I think just not be nervous. I just have to go out there and play my game, not continuously think about that the coaches might be thinking or what their next move might be," said Calvert, "I just have to go out and play hockey. I know what I do best and what makes me successful."

Calvert added the atmosphere for Tuesday's game was unbelievable, and it just shows how bad the fans wanted their team back.

Chaff...the Wheat Kings have welcomed Mark Stone and Jordan Fransoo back into their fold. Both players were returned to the Wheat Kings by the NHL's Ottawa Senators on Tuesday...Wheat Kings' F Michael Ferland had an assist for Calgary in the Flames 4-3 split squad loss to Vancouver in NHL pre-season action Tuesday night. Ferland is expected to be assigned back to the Wheat Kings sometime Wednesday...the Prince Albert Raiders dealt F Charles Wells, 20, to the Portland Winterhawks Tuesday for a fourth round pick in the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft.

No comments: