Monday, 12 September 2011

Sid Insiring to Wheat Kings' Walker

Brenden Walker has only been watching the
Wheat Kings so far during the pre-season
Brenden Walker is being inspired by Sidney Crosby, but not because of the hockey skill of the Pittsburgh Penguins' star captain.

The Brandon Wheat Kings' forward is in a similar situation to the Crosby, having yet to recover from a concussion that occured more than five months ago.

Walker says the fact Crosby is waiting until he's 100 per cent to return to the ice makes him feel that waiting is also the right approach for him.

"It's really good, actually, having a person like that, and there's tons of other people. When they're saying stuff, you're thinking that that's the pretty much the same thing I'm going through," said Walker in an interview on Friday night, "It helps you out a lot, actually. They're battling through it to, they're trying to be positive, they're trying to get through it and I'm going to try and do the same thing for myself."

Walker suffered a concussion during Game #3 of the Wheat Kings' first round playoff series with Medicine Hat on March 28, courtesy of a blind-side hit from Tigers' forward Hunter Shinkaruk.

Shinkaruk was not penalized on the play, but was handed a one game suspension by the WHL under supplemental discipline.

Walker had 25 goals and 52 points in 70 games with the Wheat Kings last season and was expected to elevate his offensive game in his third year with Brandon this year.

For now, his health is the most important thing.

"I'm just taking this day-by-day, hope for the best, keep going to the doctors, keeping everyone updated on how I'm feeling headache wise," said Walker, "I haven't been feeling the same way, just not the same me. It's just not right, but hopefully I get back soon."

Walker says his concussion symptoms include feeling drained of energy, neck soreness, being bothered by bright lights and many occurances of migraine headaches.

"I'd like to get out and do something. I want to keep moving and get some energy in me, but it's hard. I just want to sit around and do nothing," said Walker, "It's not really me...I like to go do stuff and I like to get things done but I guess it's a waiting game now."

Chaff...former Wheat Kings' captain Shayne Wiebe is skating with the Winnipeg Jets' prospects after signing an AHL contract in July. More from Ken Wiebe at the Winnipeg Sun...Wheat Kings' F Michael Ferland and the Calgary Flames' Prospects fell 6-1 to San Jose at the Young Stars tournament in Penctiction on Sunday...Mark Stone, Jordan Fransoo and the Ottawa Senators' rookie are 2-and-0 at the Young Stars Tournament in Oshawa. They beat Chicago 6-5 Sunday after a 4-0 win over Pittsburgh on Saturday.

Here's my full interview with Walker from Friday night...

video

No comments: