Friday, 23 September 2011

Fehr Optimistic About Jets

Former Brandon Wheat King Eric Fehr won't get a chance to make his Winnipeg Jets' debut for at least another six weeks.

Fehr is recovering from off-season surgery on his right shoulder -- the second time in the last three years he's gone under the knife.

"It was my second surgery on that shoulder, so it's going to take a little bit more time," said Fehr on Tuesday night, "I'm just going to try and recover, make sure I'm 100 per cent before I come back so that when I come back, it's for good"

Fehr, 26, was drafted 18th overall by Washington in the 2003 NHL Draft so the Capitals were the only organization he knew up until his trade to Winnipeg in July.

"The opportunity in Washington was pretty limited with the amount of skill they had there. It was tough to get on the ice in different situations with the players they had," said Fehr, who has 46 goals and 93 points in 230 career NHL games, "I think here, with a good young group, it'll be a good opportunity to grow with these guys and turn into the player I know I can be."

Fehr makes his off-season home in Winnipeg and became one of the early faces of the Jets in July and August, making numerous public appearances on the behalf of the team.

He isn't expected to be ready to step into Winnipeg's lineup until mid-November, but is confident he'll be able to contribute to what is expected to be an offensively-challenged Jets' team.

"I definitely feel I can help out defensively. We have a lot of skilled players up front but I think I can be a part of it," says Fehr, "I think I can be a part of it with these guys, try to get to know each other on the ice and see who we enjoy playing with. I think we can do a lot of damage up front."

In his four seasons with the Wheat Kings from 2001 to 2005, Fehr scored 146 goals including back-to-back years for 50 and 59 goals in his final two seasons.

His last year, 2004-2005, he led the WHL in scoring and was the WHL Player of the Year.

No comments: