Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Stone Set to Camp Out

Mark Stone's first taste of the Canadian Junior Team will happen later this week.

Beginning, Wednesday, the 19-year old Winnipeg product is one of 47 players who'll be attending Hockey Canada's Summer Development Camp in Edmonton and Fort McMurray, Alberta.

It's a sweet reward for Stone, who finished in a tie for third-place in the WHL scoring race last season with 106 points after an injury-plagued 2009-2010 season.

"I've been working hard the last couple of summers, and proved myself enough for this camp but there's still a lot more I have to show to get invited back for December," said the 6-foot-2 1/2, 195 pound Stone, "There's still a lot more I have to show. I want to get invited back in December, I need to get a good start to the season."

The camp is Stone's third overall kick at the Hockey Canada scene after helping Team West to a fourth-place finish at the 2009 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge.

He also knows the sting of not making the grade, being released from the Under-18 Team in August of 2009 before the squad headed overseas to the Memorial of Ivan Hlinka Tournament.

"Playing for Brandon, you see guys playing in the World Juniors like Keith Aulie and Brayden Schenn and you know the feeling that they have from it makes you want to play," said Stone, a sixth round pick of Ottawa in the 2010 NHL Draft, "I want to play in the World Juniors this year, but I have a lot to work to do."

Stone's spent his off-season getting ready for the camp, along with what's to follow later in the season.

Ultimately, he knows a good showing this week may not mean anything if you don't follow it up next month.

"I have to go in there and show what I can do, and you obviously have to have a great start to the season in Brandon and I need to be ready for Brandon's camp and have a good Ottawa camp," said Stone, "Then, I need to be ready to play like I did last year and even a step above what I did last year."

The Development Camp begins Wednesday and includes a pair of Red & White games on Saturday and Sunday.

Chaff...Hockey Canada is expected to name the final roster for the Canadian Under-18 Team for the Memorial of Ivan Hlinka tournament on Tuesday afternoon. Wheat Kings' Ryan Pulock and Tyrel Seaman are among the 42 players participating in the Selection Camp...Wawanesa product Jordan Thomson and Wheat Kings' prospect Jordan Papirny are among the 42 bantam-aged players participating in the first annual AllState All-Canadians Mentorship Camp this week in Toronto.

No comments: