Wednesday, 31 August 2011

Hawryluk Has High Hopes for Future

Jayce Hawryluk
Jayce Hawryluk says it's still a little surreal being a member of the Brandon Wheat Kings.

The 15-year old Roblin product was Brandon's second round pick in the 2011 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft after a phenomenal season that saw him score 138 goals and 264 points in 54 games with the Russell Rams.

"The competition wasn't as high, but is was good...there was the odd game that wasn't high-high competition, but when we went to Saskatoon, every game was high level and I played against some of the top draft picks," said the 5-foot-8 1/2, 156 pound Hawryluk after Wednesday's morning scrimmage, "Coming here, I expected tough competition, which it is, but it's fun, though."

Hawryluk scored a pair of goals for Team Gold in their 7-2 victory over Team Black during Wednesday morning's scrimmage at Rookie Camp, proving that the leap to Wheat Kings' camp at this point isn't too much for him to handle.

"It's good life experience for now. I kind of got the nerves out of the way at the beginning and it's go time from here," said Hawryluk, "I'm excited for this year, hopefully I'll get to play some games with them, go hard and see what happens. Hard work pays off in the end."

Hawryluk expects to play with the Southwest Cougars of the Manitoba AAA Midget Hockey League this season.

He's also one of the 28 players still remaining on Hockey Manitoba's Under-16 roster for the Western Canada Challenge Cup in Moose Jaw in late October.

As for the rest of the Wheat Kings' training camp, Hawryluk has simple goals.

"I'm hoping to just play my game like I always do," said Hawryluk, "Good intensity out there. My competitive level is always high, I always want the puck and bury it whenever I can and that's all I have to do, have a good game."

Chaff...two Wheat Kings' list players are not attending training camp. Brendan Harms has committed to Bemidji State and 2010 Draft Pick Mitch Collet is attending camp with the AJHL's Okotoks Oilers this weekend...G Tyler Fuhr is missing Wednesday's sessions but is expected to arrive in camp Thursday while '94-born prospects Daniel Asham, Dakota Conroy, Carter Proft and Dylan Kuczek are being held out until main camp begins on Friday...imports Bruno Mraz and Alessio Bertaggia are also not skating at rookie camp.

No comments: