Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Edmundson Readying for Combine

Joel Edmundson
Brandon product Joel Edmundson will be getting poked and prodded later this month.

The Moose Jaw Warriors' defenceman is one of more than 100 prospects invited to the NHL Draft Combine in Toronto from May 30 - June 4.

Edmundson will undergo five days of physical testing and is expected to be interviewed by at least a dozen NHL teams.

"I've been busy going to the gym every day. Fortunately, no school for me so I have lots of time to rest up," says Edmundson, who had two goals and 20 points in 71 games in his rookie season with Moose Jaw, "Usually go to the gym once or twice a day and I've been talking to a couple of teams so that keeps me busy."

Edmundson, who turns 18 on June 28, is expected to be chosen among the first 100 picks in next month's NHL Draft after being ranked 33rd among North American skaters in the final rankings by the NHL Central Scouting Service.

The 6-foot-4, 200 pound Edmundon admits he never would have thought he'd be in this position just 12 months ago.

"Last year, I was just focusing on making the team (Warriors) for the next hockey season," says Edmundson, "Right now I'm just happy where I am, sitting in the draft, and I'm looking forward to the next couple of months to see where I end up in the draft and what team I go to."

An admitted Calgary Flames' fan, Edmundson and his family had made plans to attend the NHL Draft in St. Paul, Minnesota even before his status as a prospect became elevated.

Now, that trip next month is bound to be even more special.

Chaff...it was confirmed to me yesterday that the deadline to purchase Wheat Kings' season tickets for the 2011-2012 season at the same price as last season has been extended to June 14.  That is because the Manitoba Summer Fair will be on at the Keystone Centre grounds during the original deadline date of June 10.

No comments: