Monday, 11 April 2011

Edmundson, Liston Among Those in CSS Rankings

Brandon product Joel Edmundson has moved up 36 spots in the final rankings by the NHL Central Scouting Service.

The Moose Jaw Warriors' defenceman is ranked 33rd among North American skaters for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, which makes him a potential late second or early third round pick.

"I'm really looking forward to (the draft)," says the 6-foot-4 1/2, 191 pound Edmundson, "At the start of the year, I wasn't even thinking about it. Now, I have my family and everybody coming down to the draft with me."

Edmundson finished his rookie WHL season with two goals, 20 points and a +3 rating in 71 games while also recording 95 penalty minutes.

He played in Moose Jaw's Top Four for most of the second half of the season, and was thankful for that opportunity.

"The coaches were really good to me, gave me some special teams," says Edmundson, "I just knew I had to play my role, and I played it right and the coaches trusted me in some different situations."

Edmundson will get a further chance to impress scouts when he attends the NHL Scouting Combine in Toronto in late May.

Meanwhile, Liam Liston was rated ninth among North American goaltenders, down five spots from his mid-season rating.

"I obviously would have liked to have held on to the spot I was in but considering the way things went for me in the second half, as far as my play, I don't think anything else could have been expected," says Liston, "Lots of time left before things start to happen in June and things like the combine so we'll see how that goes."

Liston had a 9-and-3 in 15 appearances after January 1st, but with a 4.31 goals against average and .863 save percentage.

He made one playoff appearance, stopping 32 shots in Brandon's Game #3 victory over Medicine Hat, before missing the rest of the post-season with a concussion.

"It's getting better, day-by-day. I can start taking the protocol here by getting back into being able to work out," says Liston, "Just glad that it's starting to get better."

Liston's goaltending mate with the Wheat Kings, Corbin Boes, was rated 20th among North American netminder.

Boes finished the season with a 10-12-7 record, 3.44 GAA and .888 SPCT in 33 regular season appearances and added a 1-4 record with a 5.42 GAA and .831 SPCT in five playoff starts.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins of the Red Deer rebels was ranked #1 among North American skaters, with Portland's Sven Baertschi (#7) and Saskatoon's Duncan Siemens (#10) the other WHLers to crack the top ten.

You can see the complete list of North American Skaters at http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=68890 and North American Goaltenders at http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=68890.

No comments: