Friday, 15 April 2011

Cuthbert Making Slow Recovery from Concussion


Brayden Cuthbert
 It's been nearly three months since Brandon product Brayden Cuthbert suffered a concussion and he's still waiting to get back to normal.

The Moose Jaw Warriors' forward was injured after taking a hit during a game in Red Deer January 22nd.

Cuthbert, a fifth round pick of the Warriors in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft, says it was an open-ce hit from Rebels' defenceman Matt Dumba that pushed him to the sidelines.

"I got a pass out of the corner and it deflected off my stick and I was chasing the puck down and the defenceman stepped up on me and I was expecting it and he really got a good piece of me," says Cuthbert, "I went down, got back up and played a couple more shift but after that, I realized something wasn't right."

Cuthbert skated for the first time since the hit this past weekend as he continues his progression through the protocol to return to normal activity.

The 5-foot-9, 165 pound Cuthbert says not being able to do his normal routine has been the biggest thing about being out with a head injury.

"Just having to sit around and watch everyone else do it was a real shock for me," says Cuthbert, "I didn't enjoy it all...you had to sit and watch and know that you couldn't really do any of that because of your head. Obviously, your head is really important part of your body and you have to keep it safe."

Cuthbert finished his rookie season in the Western Hockey League with two goals and four points in 39 games while also playing with Team Western at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in late December and early January.

"Personally, I would have liked to get a couple more points but, as a 16-year old, that's not really expected," says Cuthbert, "My coach gave me an opportunity to play a lot of hockey, I didn't have to sit out very much, and I really felt comfortable with my play as the season went on."

No comments: