Thursday, 14 April 2011

Brandon Prospect Continuing Good Junior A Season

Brendan Harms
 Brandon Wheat Kings' prospect Brendan Harms is continuing his outstanding season in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League.

The 16-year old Portage Terriers' forward had 63 points in 59 regular season contests and 13 points in 17 playoff games, helping the Terriers claim the Turnbull Cup for the third time in four years.

"I think I was lucky to get the ice time and stuff that I did and the opportunities that I did was well," says the 5-foot-11, 170 pound Harms, "I thought my year went pretty well. There's always room for improvement and stuff like that but I thought it was a good year for me and a good year for the team so far too."

Harms was a sixth round pick of Brandon in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft and is following the same path to the WHL as current Wheat King Brenden Walker.

The Steinbach, Manitoba product spent his 2009-2010 with the Eastman Selects of the Manitoba AAA Midget Hockey League, notching 37 points in 43 games before joining the Terriers this season.

Walker made the same trip, spending his 15-year old year with Eastman and his 16-year old season with Portage before joining the Wheat Kings for the past two seasons.

"I know know Brendan and knowing the route he took, it's obviously something you look up to and try and do the same thing," says Harms, "The opporunity was there and I took it to come to Portage and I just want to see where the next step takes me."

Harms and the Terriers will host the SJHL Champion La Ronge Ice Wolves in the opening two games of the Anavet Cup Series this Friday and Saturday.

He says finishing off this season positively is his first priority, and then he'll worry about what needs to be done to be a full-time Wheat King next season.

"That's obviously in my future but, right now, I'm just trying to worry about finishing up my year with the Terriers," says Harms, "Then, when I come to Brandon camp, that'll be one of my focuses."

Harms isn't the only Wheat Kings' prospect who's season is continuing this month.

Defenceman Dylan Kuczek and the Winnipeg Thrashers begin play at the Telus Cup National Midget Hockey Championship in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador on Monday.

The 6-foot-0, 209 pound Kuczek was Brandon's second round pick in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft and played one game with the Wheat Kings earlier this season.

No comments: