Monday, 21 March 2011

Former Wheat Kings' Captain Out of Game

It’s been a winter without hockey for former Wheat Kings’ captain Marty Murray.

Murray hasn’t played professional for the first time in 15 years in 2010-2011 and when he joined me during the second intermission of Saturday’s Wheat Kings’ broadcast.

"It's different," said the Lyleton, Manitoba product, "You come to games like this or out on the ice myself you kind of get the itch but it's good...chasing kids around left and right, I'm probably busier now than I was playing."

The 36-year old Murray, who lives in Minot, North Dakota, was in Brandon as the guest speaker for the Hockey Manitoba Bantam Final Four Tournament.



"It's kind of nice to be in a family routine. I wouldn't trade what I did for the world, that's for sure, but our kids are in Grade 1 and Kindergarten now so you kind of look at things a little different," said Murray, "Certainly miss playing the game, I get out in men's league on Tuesday night, which isn't really competitive but it's nice too get out there."



Murray says he had a couple of offers to keep playing this season, including one from a team in Europe just last month, but feels his professional career is over.

"I'm content where I'm at. I always said when was 20 years old that I'd like to play until I'm 35, and I did," says Murray, "I've kind of packed about 10 pounds so it'd take me all summer to get back into shape."

Murray spent 14 seasons playing pro with 13 different teams including Calgary, Philadelphia, Carolina and Los Angeles in the National Hockey League.
In 261 career NHL games, Murray had 31 goals and 73 points.

No comments: