Sunday, 27 March 2011

Dubyk Solid as Tigers Tie Series

The Brandon Wheat Kings earned a road split in their first two games of the Eastern Conference Quarter-Final series in Medicine Hat, but the club had hoped for more going into Game #2 on Saturday.

However, Deven Dubyk forced a change of plans for the Wheat Kings.

Dubyk made 38 saves in his first career WHL playoff start to lead Medicine Hat to a 5-2 victory over Brandon and even the Best-of-Seven series 1-1.

Thrust into the start after all-star Tyler Bunz aggrevated an upper-body injury in Brandon's 7-2 victory in Game #1, Dubyk stood tall in the Tigers’ net.

“I thought we played well, and Dubyk was the difference,” says Brandon GM/Coach Kelly McCrimmon on CKLQ’s post-game show, “We had 40 shots on the road, we had a lot of scoring chances, we didn’t give up a lot. We talk sometimes about timely goals of late that we’ve scoring that have worked to our advantage, I thought we needed a goal at the right time.”

Scott Glennie scored both goals for the Wheat Kings including one at 5:54 of the third period that pulled Brandon to within one at 3-2.

The Wheat Kings then pressured but were unable to capitalize on their sixth power-play chance of the night, and Jace Coyle’s wrist shot from the right point found its mark behind Brandon goaltender Corbin Boes to restore a two-goal lead for Medicine Hat with 8:35 left.

Linden Vey added an empty-net goal for the Tigers while some other unlikely sources scored for Medicine Hat.

Sebastian Owuya, who didn’t have a goal in 66 regular season games, Dylan Bredo, who hadn’t scored since December 8, and Boston Leier, who had just two regular season goals, scored the other markers for Medicine Hat.

The series now moves to Manitoba, with Game #3 set for Monday night at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg.

Chaff…Dubyk was originally an 11th round pick of the Wheat Kings in the 2006 WHL Bantam Draft…after combined for six points and a +7 rating in Game #1, the line of Paul Ciarelli, David Toews and Hampus Gustafsson were pointless with a combined –7r rating in Game #2…Jacob DeSerres stopped 14 shots as Saint John downed Cape Breton 7-1 Saturday to take a 2-0 lead in their QMJHL first round series. Andrew Hayes made 33 saves for the Screaming Eagles.

Brandon Wheat Kings 2 at Medicine Hat Tigers 5

First Period
1. Medicine Hat, Owuya 1 (Etem, Shinkaruk) 4:59
2. Brandon, Glennie 1 (Wiebe, MacKay) 8:15 (pp)

Penalties: Kessy MH (double checking from behind) 7:26, Glennie Bdn (slashing) 18:06, Medicine Hat bench (too many men; served by Valk) 19:38.

Second Period
3. Medicine Hat, Bredo 1 (McKay, Coyle) 3:06
4. Medicine Hat, Leier 1 (Petryk, Owuya) 12:24

Penalty: Coyle MH (cross-checking) 9:25.

Third Period
5. Brandon, Glennie 2 (Walker, Ferland) 5:54
6. Medicine Hat, Grbavac 1 (Bredo, Coyle) 11:25
7. Medicine Hat, Vey 2, 19:05 (en)

Penalties: Owuya MH (holding) 2:41, Ferland Bdn, Grbavac MH (unsportsmanlike conduct) 6:35, Konan MH (high-sticking) 7:53.

Shots on goal by
Brandon 16 11 13 - 40
Medicine Hat 9 7 7 - 23
Goal: Brandon: Boes (L,1-1); Medicine Hat: Dubyk (W,1-0).

Power plays (goals-chances): Brandon: 1-6; Medicine Hat: 0-1.

Referees: Sean Raphael, Reagan Vetter; Linesmen: Scott Sharun, Greg Sarauer.

Attendance: 3,952.

No comments: